Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Koroke Vail Style

Today's koroke are a bit of a fantasy, I admit. The reason why I came up with this, was that I had some leftovers of the gyouza filling, and I needed to get rid of it.
If you want to know about Japanese Koroke; there are several different versions, but most are either with potato or with a kind of béchamel sauce. My koroke are based on potatoes, mashed and mixed with the gyouza filling, which consists of chinese cabbage, carrot, ginger and pork mince, seasoned with soy sauce and pepper. I peeled and boiled the potatoes, then mashed them (I use a fork because prefer to not have real puree, but still small bits of potato in it). Added the gyouza filling, 1 egg and some flour, seasoned with salt and pepper. Formed the koroke (I chose a more oblong shape), then coated them with flour, egg, and panko. They should be fried in a frying pan with a bit more of oil, but not too hot, or else the breadcrumbs will become black too quickly. (7 on my electric stove)
Tonkatsu sauce goes well with the koroke, but they are fine with ketchup, too. Or simply natural.


~Vail~

No comments:

Post a Comment